Aviation Events Calendar
Spotlighting Safety and Pilot Proficiency
A very nice Aviation Event Calendar!
You may visit FAASAFETY.GOV for more info & to register for many of the following events that feature FAA WINGS credit. Others listings have their information and contact data described. This calendar will usually list a much larger panorama of aviation events than FAASAFETY.GOV allows for. You are invited to submit your event for publication within our Aviation Events Calendar to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Now also featured herein are EAA Webinars. These live multimedia presentations are informative and interactive, allowing the presenter to use slides and audio, while audience members can ask questions and be polled for their opinion. - System Requirements for Attendees - You can easily attend a session from anywhere, anytime using a compatible computer or mobile device! To get the most out of GoToWebinar, you can download and install the full-feature desktop software on your Windows and Mac computer. - See Download GoToWebinar for your download options. You can also check your system's compatibility automatically. Some EAA Webinars qualify for credit in the FAA's WINGS or AMT awards program. Visit www.faasafety.gov for details. The Listings Here for EAA Webinars are dedicated to the memory of Tom Hastings, long time EAA member/builder, whose Cirrus VK-30 was featured in the movie 16R. He was an ardent supporter of EAA Young Eagles. A tragic flight accident claimed his life; as well as his daughter's, her husband and their child's.
Due to the health circumstances that currently exist, it might be a good idea to confirm that the events you have planned to attend are still ongoing. Events scheduled for SoCal Pilots have been postponed, as has the entire schedule for the Camarillo 99's. EBACE has been cancelled, and all NBAA event through July 1 have been cancelled. Sun 'N Fun has been postponed and rescheduled for May 5-10. BAA POC Pilot meeting scheduled for 4/02 has been cancelled. At this time, the Mend Aviation seminars have been cancelled as well.
3/18/20 Just announced: It has been recommended that no face-to-face FAASTeam event be held until further notice. Webinars have been suggested.
-BREAKING NEWS - SUN'N FUN POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT YEAR - VIEW MESSAGE HERE
1. AIAA LA LV, AIAA OC, and SCALACS joint e-Town Hall Meeting, August 1, 2020, 10 AM - with guest speaker Jim Martin The No-Cost Solution to Climate Change by Dr. James A. Martin, Boeing - retired - AIAA Space Propulsion Steering Committee - A Carbon Fee & Dividend Policy - More Info & Registration HERE.
3. EAA Aviation Museum to reopen Aug. 3 - More Infor Here
3. IMC Club Meeting - Hawthorne Airport Branch - ONLINE ZOOM MTG 7 p.m. - You don't need an instrument rating to attend. This meeting is open to all current, non-current, and future instrument pilots. For RSVP and INFO email Eric@ericshalove.com. For more information about the IMC Clubs, please visit http://www.eaa.org/imcclub
4. Currently, the next Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG), Aviation Technical Advisory Committee (ATAC) meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 4, 2020. Although the plan was for John Wayne Airport to host this meeting, it is likely that this meeting will be held virtually. John Wayne Airport will still “host” the meeting, just remotely. For further information you are invited to contact Hiroshi John Ishikawa, Ph.D. - Senior Regional Planner—Aviation Program - email@example.com
4. Which RV is Right for Me? - Tues, Aug 4, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Greg Hughes - Greg Hughes of Van's Aircraft will discuss the kit offerings from Van's and things to think about before making the purchase decision. Registration Here
8. (Online) Saturday, August 8, 2020, 10 AM - In-flight Refueling the SR-71 - During the Cold War by Col. Charlie Vono (USAF-Retired) For More Info and to Register Now!
10-13 Space Tech Expo - Four Days of Live Session and Smart Networking - At Space Tech Expo we created a game-changing online event bringing together senior stakeholders and leaders from the worldwide aerospace, smallsat and new-space sectors. We are inviting you to sign up today for the opportunity to meet your peers across the supply chain, connect and do business. More Info Here.
11."American Bonanza Society - Fuel Management Strategies" Pick Up Where The Beech POHs Leave Off - Fuel Management StrategiesOn Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 19:00 Central Daylight Time (17:00 PDT, 18:00 MDT, 20:00 EDT, 14:00 HST, 16:00 AKDT, 17:00 Arizona, 00:00 GMT)
The Beech Pilot’s Operating Handbooks provide a good description of the airplane’s fuel system and a few limitations about its use, but they give little guidance on strategies for fuel tank selection and monitoring. Yet fuel management is a major factor in engine failure accidents. In this webinar we’ll explore:
- The mandatory actions—fuel system limitations
- Best practices for fuel management
- Different techniques for different fuel system designs across the Beech model line
- The “gotchas” of fuel management and inflight fuel monitoring
- Ideas for you to develop your own fuel management strategy specific to your Beechcraft
Viewers will be able to type in their questions to be answered during the event. We’ll explain how to do so at the beginning of the webinar.
Although this American Bonanza Society program is oriented toward pilots of Beech Bonanzas, Debonairs, Barons and Travel Airs, the discussion, techniques and procedures described are valuable to the pilot of any airplane. To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.
11. Simplified Vehicle Operations: The Flight Deck of the Future- WEBINAR- Date/Time: Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2020, 11 a.m. EDT"As we explore emerging technologies and the opportunities that abound, the panel will explore how simplified vehicle operations (SVO) will alter the cockpit, impact aircraft certification and training as we embark on this new frontier." Everyone Invited.
12. "SoCal Airspace Anomalies with Brian Schiff and Mark King" - A look at some of Southern California's VFR and IFR airspace anomalies with an emphasis on VNY and related pilot deviations. On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 19:00 Pacific Daylight Time (20:00 MDT, 21:00 CDT, 22:00 EDT, 16:00 HST, 18:00 AKDT, 19:00 Arizona, 02:00 GMT)
Numerous pilot deviations from a wide variety of pilot demographics have prompted the need for a review and explanation of certain procedures and airspace idiosyncrasies. In this webinar we will take a close look at some of Southern California’s airspace anomalies and examine where pilot error has led to loss of separation and deviations. To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.
12. NBAA to Connect Job Seekers, Employers at Free Virtual Career Fair - "Job seekers and employers will see valuable benefits by attending NBAA’s free Virtual Career Fair on Wednesday, Aug. 12, from 12-3 p.m. (EDT). The online event will provide a platform for those looking for new positions to interact directly with recruiters using a suite of chat tools and virtual booths." 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. PDT Info Here:
12. Legal Issues in Buying and Selling GA Aircraft - Wed, Aug 12, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenters: Kathy Yodice, Patrick Floyd and Alan L. Farkas - The EAA Legal Advisory Council will give you a practical overview of how to buy or sell an aircraft without getting snagged by legal issues. This webinar will address contracts, inspections, insurance, product liability, negligence, titles, registration, and international transactions. There will be a Q&A session at the end of the talk. Qualifies for FAA Wings credit. INFO Here
13. Shtick & Rudder – with Special Guest Rod Machado - 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. PDT - Join the You Can Fly Flight Training team as we welcome famed instructor and humorist Rod Machado. Rod will be taking a thought-provoking and light-hearted look at the different ways we can maintain and increase our pilot proficiency without having an instructor on board the airplane. Rod’s program will highlight several easy-to-do exercises that can lead to precise airplane control and greater cockpit confidence.
Space is limited – register today.
13. "Ten Secret Sights on the California Coast only Pilots can See and How to Fly them like a Pro" Learn a new type of Bay Tour from the eyes of a geologist and NOAA Research Pilot On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 18:30 Pacific Daylight Time (19:30 MDT, 20:30 CDT, 21:30 EDT, 15:30 HST, 17:30 AKDT, 18:30 Arizona, 01:30 GMT)
California pilots are treated to the jaw-dropping beauty of the coast on a regular basis, but we bet you’ve never seen it like this. Join us, a former NOAA research pilot and a PhD Geologist, as we take you on a new kind of coastal tour to unlock ten secret sights you can only see from the sky.
We’ll spice up your coastal flying with an aerial tour of history and wildlife spanning all the way from Mendocino to the Channel Islands and teach you ten easy to follow tips and tricks to keep you safe while you fly it. Learn where to spot whales and sharks, how to fly along the San Andreas fault, and hear wild stories of flying for science. We’ll cover all this all while learning how to protect our ocean treasures by flying safely over the coast. All pilots are invited to attend this truly unique and fun opportunity. Don't miss out on this webinar a pilot recently called “one of the best I have seen in my 17 years of flying in the Bay Area.”
CDR Matthew Pickett, NOAA (Ret) served twenty years providing operational support for research missions aboard ships, small boats, aircraft, and SCUBA diving, and rose to become Chief of the Remote Sensing Division Flight Branch. He flew a DeHavilland Twin Otter and Cessna Citation on far-flung missions including Arctic polar bear surveys, high-altitude mapping, and fisheries enforcement. After retiring from active flying, CDR Pickett served as the Operations Manager for the NOAA Collaborative Center for Unmanned Technologies and in 2016 co-founded the nonprofit Oceans Unmanned with the mission to facilitate the use of unmanned technologies for environmental research and monitoring.
Wendy Kordesch is the Outreach Specialist at the Seabird Protection Network, and builds partnerships with pilots to help wildlife thrive on our coasts. She holds a PhD in Ocean Science and has presented to dozens of pilots, flying clubs and organizations across the Bay Area, as well as the US Coast Guard. To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.
15. Aerospace Women's Career Day Event - Recognizing the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment and Women’s Contributions to STEM! 10 a.m. - More Information and registration HERE.
18. Air Shows: Not Just Events, But a Lifestyle! - Tues, Aug 18, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenters: Grant & Brittany Nielsen, International Aerobatic Club - Curious about the air show life? Join Grant and Brittany Nielsen as they talk about their journey as GN Airshows. Learn about becoming an air show performer and the lifestyle around air shows, air show announcing, and all of the nitty-gritty details. Registration Here
18. "The Pursuit of Aviation Excellence" - Topic: How to perfect your pursuit of excellence in your flying endeavors - On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 19:00 Pacific Daylight Time (20:00 MDT, 21:00 CDT, 22:00 EDT, 16:00 HST, 18:00 AKDT, 19:00 Arizona, 02:00 GMT)- The pursuit of excellence should be a life-long part of your Aviation journey. It's not a destination, but a process. Peter King will explore this idea and make some concrete suggestions on how you can not just embark upon, but bring focus to - and enjoy - that journey toward excellence as your pursue your aviation goals.
Peter King is the Training Program Manager for Epic Aircraft. He holds an ATP and CFI certificates, has been a Platinum CSIP instructor and is the Dean of Advanced Avionics for COPA University. - To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.
19. How to Use Your Pilot's Operating Handbook - Wed, Aug 19, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Mike Bauer - Do you know what's in your airplane's pilot's operating handbook (POH)? Do you even have a POH? Maybe you have an owner's manual instead. What's the difference? Mike Bauer will discuss why you need a POH, what it contains, how to use it, and what to do if you don't have one. Qualifies for FAA WINGS credit. Register Here.
19. "NAFI - Regulations In Plain English" - WEBINAR- How To Learn & Teach Regulations In A Way That Will Enhance The Learning Experience And Improve ADM Skills. - On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 19:00 Central Daylight Time (17:00 PDT, 18:00 MDT, 20:00 EDT, 14:00 HST, 16:00 AKDT, 17:00 Arizona, 00:00 GMT)- Learning and understanding the Federal Regulations is not anywhere near the top of the list of things anyone likes to study in their off time. So, what is it that is so unattractive to learning “the rules”? - In this presentation, you will learn what some of those unattractive items are, and how to overcome them as an student and instructor. - To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.
19. Project Boom Design Review - WEBINAR - "A student team aiming to design and build the world's fastest student-made unmanned jet aircraft." "Students (Colleges and Universities)! Please join the AIAA LA-LV Section in hosting the design review for Project Boom, an innovative student design team with members from around the world! Project Boom seeks to design and build the world's fastest student-made unmanned jet aircraft, with the ultimate goal of breaking the sound barrier!" 4-6 p.m. Learn More Here
22. AIAA Los Angeles-Las Vegas - Space Architecture Gathering - August 22, 2020, 10 AM - Please join us and meet with and listen to the leaders and practitioners in Space Architecture. The theme will relate to human space activity in general and human lunar activity in particular, including but not limited to NASA's Artemis project and Artemis Accords. - The Artemis Lunar Program will offer new opportunities for advances in architecture, commercialization, design, engineering, exploration, habitation, ISRU, operations, and science at the Gateway Station, in cis-lunar space, on the lunar lander, on the surface of the Moon, and perhaps beneath the surface. - Prof. Madhu Thangavelu - (Chair/Moderator of the Panel/Event) - Faculty Member, USC / ISU Chair / Moderator of this Event - PLUS AN EXCITING PANEL. Get More Info Here -
25. Experiment in the Cockpit: The Women Airforce Service Pilots of World War II - Wed, Aug 26, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Katherine Sharp Landdeck - In September 1942, the leaders of the USAAF knew they desperately needed more pilots and decided to finally give women pilots a chance. In the beginning, they were uncertain whether women could fly military planes, but the women quickly proved themselves as effective pilots. Historian Katherine Sharp Landdeck, author of The Women With Silver Wings: The Inspiring True Story of the Women Airforce Service Pilots of World War II, shares the story of how women got started flying for the USAAF and their successful experiment in the cockpit. More Info Here.
29. AIAA LA LV STEM K-12 Meeting with Alan Chan, and Cornelius Cosentino - Saturday, August 29, 2020, 10 AM - Red Rover Planetary Driving Simulator by Alan Chan - A twenty-year visual effects veteran, A screenwriter and director. - Letters from the Cockpit by Maj. Cornelius Neil Cosentino, Experienced Pilot, USAF-Retired - For Information click Here!
1. Zenith STOL Airplanes - Tues, Sep 1, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Sebastien Heintz - Sebastien Heintz will discuss in-depth their high wing kit aircraft: STOL CH701, STOL CH750, CH750 Cruzer and STOL CH750 Super Duty. - Register Here
2. Fresh Annual - Wed, Sept 2, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Mike Busch - It's often said that when buying an airplane, the best prebuy is an annual inspection. Not so fast, says maintenance expert Mike Busch A&P/IA. In this webinar, Mike tells the story of a first-time aircraft owner who bought a Piper Warrior with the proverbial "fresh annual" provided by the seller's mechanic in Texas, ferried the plane home to California with his CFI, only to discover that the aircraft was a mechanical disaster. Mike illustrates graphically why an annual inspection provided by the seller is never a substitute for a proper independent prebuy arranged for by the buyer. Qualifies for FAA WINGS and AMT credit. - register early for Mike Busch presentations. They fill up! - More Info Here
5. E-TOWN HALL MEETING WITH BILL GERSTENMAIER, BRUCE BANERDT AND FRANK CZOPEK - WEBINAR - Volunteers are needed for al AIAA activities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Keeping your Rotax Alive - Wed, Sept 9, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Prof. H. Paul Shuch - Like most aviation maintenance technicians, Prof. H. Paul Shuch cut his teeth on Lycoming and Continental engines. In the decade since he bought his first Rotax 912 powered airplane, our presenter has learned a lot about these quirky engines, which now power 80 percent of the light-sport fleet. From operating tips to maintenance tricks, he shares his experiences with you in this FAA WINGS and AMT award webinar. Register Here.
26. Aquarius, a Reusable Water-Based Interplanetary Human Spaceflight Transport - Saturday, September 26, 2020, 10 am - by Daniel R. Adamo, AIAA Distinguished Lecturer, AIAA Associate Fellow, Independent Astrodynamics Consultant, NASA JSC - Retired. - "This 1.5-hour lecture reviews major challenges to interplanetary human spaceflight and suggests strategies by which they may be addressed. These strategies include pre-emplaced Earth return consumables at the interplanetary destination, water used as a high-efficiency/high-thrust propellant also serving as crew radiation shielding, and transport servicing in a distant retrograde orbit about the Moon." Learn more and Register Here.
3. Mission to Pluto and Beyond - e-Town Hall Meeting - by Alice Bowman - AIAA Distinguished Lecturer - AIAA Associate Fellow - NASA New Horizons Mission Operations Manager (MOM), - Space Mission Operations Group supervisor, Principal Professional Staff at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) 10 a.m. More Info Here
5. IMC meeting - Hawthorne Group - All welcome. ZOOM Mtg. - For Info Email Eric Shalov at email@example.com [firstname.lastname@example.org]
5.-8. XPONENTIAL - Virtual Drone Conference - The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International’s AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2020, the largest trade show and conference for the unmanned systems industry, will be conducted as an interactive virtual event from Oct. 5-8, 2020, given the restrictions on travel and meetings due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Register Here
6. $500 HUD - Tues, Oct 6, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: John Muzzoli - This is a presentation on a $500 Head Up Display that is legal to use in any airplane. It is a free and open-source system that builds on the data available from ADS-B receivers. Register Here
7. The Looming Mechanic Shortage - Wed, Oct 7, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Mike Busch - What if your airplane breaks and there's no one to fix it? Many maintenance shops have gone out of business, not because of lack of demand, but because they can't find enough qualified mechanics. In this webinar, maintenance expert Mike Busch A&P/IA relates the experiences of a number of his colleagues who own and operate maintenance shops, and the difficulties they have had with staffing. Mike discusses why the continuing deterioration of the maintenance infrastructure for piston GA airplanes should be of concern to every aircraft owner. Qualifies for FAA WINGS and AMT credit. - Register Early for mike Busch presentations - They fill up! - Register Here.
10. Inventing the Joint Strike Fighter with Dr. Paul Bevilaqua - AIAA Fellow AIAA Distinguished Lecturer, Chief Engineer of the Skunk Works, Lockheed Martin Corporation. Saturday, October 10th, 2020, 10 AM - Agenda/Schedule
10:05 AM Dr. Chandrashekhar Sonwane (AIAA LA LV Section Chair) (Welcome)
10:10 AM Dr. Dr. Paul Bevilaqua
11:40 AM (TBD) - 1:10 PM Adjourn - More Info Here
20. Emergency Bailout Procedures for Pilots and Survival Equipment - Tues, Oct 20, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CDT - Presenter: Allen Silver - Allen Silver is an FAA master parachute rigger and former FAA-designated rigger examiner who will be talking about how to use a parachute in an emergency bailout and some survival equipment pilots can use. Do you have a plan if you have an emergency? Do you have the right parachute fit for you? Once you decided to bail out of your aircraft do you know what to do next? These are some of the questions that will be answered during this webinar. You may download handout material from Mr. Silver's website at www.silverparachutes.com to use during and after the presentation. Qualifies for FAA WINGS credit. You Can Register Here.
31. AIAA LA-LV Celebrates 20th Anniversary of the International Space Station - WEBINAR - with authors from the Outward Odyssey series of spaceflight history books: David Hitt (Moderator), Francis French, Emeline Paat-Dahlstrom, Jay Chladek - (ISS and Beyond: A Historical Perspective on Life in Space) - Larry A. Trager and Dr. Cheng-Yi Lu - Aerojet-Rocketdyne (Aerojet-Rocketdyne Space Station Power Systems) - Mr. Liam Kennedy - Inventor of the ISS-Above - Former President, Orange County Astronomers - Former Griffith Observatory Planetarium Lecturer - Former NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador - (ISS-Above, a Raspberry Pi gizmo that presents a rich set of live information about the ISS including live video views of the earth) - 10 A.M. Read More Here
3. Van's RV-14 - Tues, Nov 3, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CST - Presenter: Greg Hughes - Greg Hughes of Van's Aircraft will discuss their latest design, the RV-14. Register Here
7. AIAA E-Town Hall Meeting - ONLINE EVENT - Perlan Project Glider Soars into History with Jim Payne, CHIEF PILOT | BOARD MEMBER - The Perlan Project - Test Pilot / Instructor, United States Air Force Academy - Retired - Consultant with NASA - Manager, Northrop's Global Hawk Program - Test Pilot, Northrop's Firebird Program - Test Pilot of the Year - Kincheloe Award, SETP. - 2019 Guinness Book of Records Aviation Page - Inspiration and Patriotism Award, Living Legends of Aviation (2018) - "SURFING IN THE SKY - Glider pilots have surfed on mountain waves since 1932. The process is like surfing on a wave in the ocean, except the glider is in the wave rather than on the surface of the wave. Einar Enevoldson, a NASA Test Pilot, saw evidence that in regions closer to the Poles, in winter, the waves could extend above the troposphere and well into the stratosphere. Previously, no one had searched for waves in the stratosphere in sub-polar regions in winter. From 1992 until 1998 he gathered more evidence that these waves existed, and might be strong enough to lift a sailplane to remarkable altitudes. In 1998 Dr. Elizabeth Austin joined Einar in the search for an understanding of stratospheric mountain waves." 10 a.m. Learn More Here
14. 43rd Anniversary of the Voyagers 1 & 2 - ONLINE EVENT - Voyager 1 & 2: Humanity's Most Distant Explorers with Special Notes on Uranus and Neptune by Todd Barber, AIAA Distinguished Lecturer, Senior Propulsion Engineer, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory" "The Voyager mission to the outer planets and interstellar space will be discussed in detail. Topics to be discussed include the incredible opportunity for a "grand tour" of the outer planets only encountered every 176 years and some true "postcards from the edge" at Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. The interstellar mission and current status will also be highlighted as well, particularly the challenges of flying two geriatric spacecraft with a tiny flight team. Finally, the future of the mission and the Voyager Golden Record will be featured in some detail as well. Some special notes on the often-ignored Uranus and Neptune will also be provided." 10 a.m. Info Here.
1. RANS S-21 Outbound, All Metal, All Purpose - Tues, Dec 1, 2020 7 - 8:30 p.m. CST - Presenter: Randy Schlitter - Randy Schlitter will discuss the S-21 Outbound kit, the latest offering from RANS Aircraft. - Register Here.
26- Aug. 1 EAA AIRVENTURE - Tickets on sale NOW. - For more INFO, Tap or Click HERE.
25.-31 EAA AIRVENTURE - For More Information - Here
24-30 EAA AIRVENTURE - For More Information - Here