Spotlighting Safety and Pilot Proficiency
Visit FAASAFETY.GOV for more info & to register for many of the following events. Others have the information and contact data described. You are invited to submit your event for publication to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. How to Stay Alive after Emergency Strikes – Conquer the Odds! Startle Response, and how to deal with it – w/Ron Berinstein cfii at Brackett Airport Administration Building 1615 McKinley Ave., La Verne, CA 91750 sponsored by BAA. 7 p.m.
4. PA 46 500TP Meridian Flight Operation Characteristics with a Meridian on view for inspection and discussion at Active Pilot, Balboa Blvd., Van Nuys, CA KVNY Airport vicinity.- free parking – expert seminar presenters – 9 a.m.
4. Plus One Flyers Club Members Safety Mtg. – MYF 3750 John J Montgomery Drive, 1st floor San Diego, CA 92123 9:30 a.m.
5. LA Area Airspace Hotspots & Dangerous Flight Routes w/ Ron Berinstein cfii – member Southern California Airspace Users Working Group – director SCAUWG.ORG website. KWHP Vista Aviation Bldg. second floor conference room, free parking cookies & chips – 10000 Airpark, Pacoima, CA 91331 10 a.m.
6. “Optimum Weather Detection Tools” WEBINAR Gain Confidence in Weather Using Great Weather Detection Tools. 17:30 PDT (18:30 MDT, 19:30 CDT, 20:30 EDT, 14:30 HST, 16:30 AKDT, 17:30 Arizona, 00:30 GMT) CLICK HERE for registration.
8. Long Beach 99’s Summer Social, at the Proud Bird restaurant near LAX. ALL pilots are welcome to come, not just female pilots – Proud Bird Restaurant, 11022 Aviation Bl, LA, CA 90045 – more info at email@example.com or www.longbeach99s.com 6:30 p.m.
8. Mastering the Art of Instrument Navigation – organized hangar talk – Serra Mesa/Kearny Mesa Public Library, 9005 Aero Drive, San Diego, CA 92123 Sponsored by IMC Club of EAA Chapter 14 6:30 p.m.
8. Fallbrook CAP Squadron 87 Safety Meeting – Nose Gear & Prop Issues – Fallbrook Community Center, 341 Heald Lane Fallbrook, CA 92028 info: Roy at 760 644-3486 7 p.m.
8. “Do Not Fear Your Engine” WEBINAR This presentation will help you understand what’s most important to know about operating your engine, and will help you understand what’s most important to know about the engine in your Beechcraft Bonanza, Baron, Travel Air or Debonair, 19:00 Central Daylight Time (17:00 PDT, 18:00 MDT, 20:00 EDT, 14:00 HST, 16:00 AKDT, 17:00 Arizona, 00:00 GMT)
To access this American Bonanza Society LIVE Broadcast – CLICK HERE REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED to view this broadcast as there is no limit to the number who may attend this live course. UNABLE TO ATTEND THE LIVE BROADCAST? You may access the ARCHIVED program at any time after the LIVE Broadcast via the link above on virtually any internet connected device. WINGS CREDIT is earned by completion of a short quiz on FAASafety.gov
9. The R-2508 Airspace and Mid-Air Collision Review PLUS the Edwards Air Force Base Mission – The Mission of Edwards AFB and how to safely navigate the R-2508 airspace. Speaker: Melissa Hughes, Major, USAF – William J Fox (KWJF) Terminal Building 4555 W Ave G
Terminal Lobby, Lancaster, CA 93536 Info: DONNA LYNN KNIGHTON Phone: (661) 816-5103 7 p.m.
11. Fuel Injection Verses Carburetor – Video and Discussion about how to avoid common fuel injection problems and the proper use of these systems. Anthony Sisneros-A&P and Director of Education at SPARTAN college – SPARTAN College of Aeronautics and Technology
8911 Aviation Blvd. Inglewood, CA 90301 12 p.m.
12. IFR (Low Altitude) Enroute Charts – w/Ron Berinstein cfii – Intended for those seeking an IFR rating, or for those smart GA pilots who would like an IFR chart info refresher. Vista Aviation Bldg., 2nd floor conference room, 10000 Airpark Way, Pacoima, CA 91331 Free parking – Cookies – 10 a.m.
13. Beyond Approach Part 2 – w/ Ron Berinstein cfii – Intended for those seeking an IFR rating, or for those smart GA pilots who would like an IFR approach phase refresher. Second floor conference room, Van Nuys Flyaway, 7610 Woodley Ave., Van Nuys, CA 91406 – Free seminar parking in front of the building in the spaces marked, “30 minute.”
14. SCAUWG – Southern California Airspace Users Working Group Member Meeting – Beach Cities Aviation KHHR, 3732 W. 120th Street, Hawthorne. CA 90250 10 a.m.
14. “TFRs/Airspace and ADSB in the Western US” WEBINAR – TFRs, Airspace & ADSB are facts of life. How can we be smart about planning and flying safe & deviation free flights? 18:00 Pacific Daylight Time (19:00 MDT, 20:00 CDT, 21:00 EDT, 15:00 HST, 17:00 AKDT, 18:00 Arizona, 01:00 GMT) For More information click HERE
15. SBAviators Instrument Pilot Roundtable – What Would You Do? Scenario-based discussion of IFR technique and decision making * w/ Taylor Jobe Impact Hub on State St 1117 State St 906 Santa Barbara, CA 93101 Contact Taylor for registration info 917 621-5702
15. “NAFI Mentor LIVE What We Should Teach About Engines” Tom Turner presents important training concepts regarding aircraft engines that can be invaluable lessons for student pilots. Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 19:00 Central Daylight Time (17:00 PDT, 18:00 MDT, 20:00 EDT, 14:00 HST, 16:00 AKDT, 17:00 Arizona, 00:00 GMT) More Info HERE
16. ADS-B – The latest on ADS-B for GA – Spend an evening learning about ADS-B with Barry Knuttila, King Schools’ CEO. Solar Turbines, Kearny Mesa Facility 4200 Ruffin Road Titan Conference Room, San Diego, CA 92123 More Info (INCLUDING -SECURITY REQUIRMENTS) w/Steve Nelson Phone: 858-502-9882 7 p.m.
18. Plus One Flyers Club New Member Safety Briefing – Safety Procedures, Both Ground and Air – w/Shane Tepestra cfi – MYF – Terminal Operations Building 3750 John J. Montgomery Drive First Floor, East Entrance San Diego, CA 92123 More Info: A Robert Agresto 619 925-4100 9:30 a.m.
18. “Rusty Pilots presented by AOPA Ambassador Kay Sundaram and hosted by AFI Flight Training Center” AFI Flight Training Center / Fullerton Municipal Airport, 4119 W Commonwealth Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92833 1 p.m.
18-19. Camarillo – “Wings Over Camarillo,” – The Very Popular Annual Camarillo Airshow Read More Here
18-19. Camarillo – at the airshow – DO NOT FORGET… the Ventura 99s host a great PANCAKE BREAKFAST between 6:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. – It’s the place to be should you like to get Good Pancakes, and mingle with the folks that help produce the airshow.
21. “Laugh and Learn with Rod Machado” -: The Middle Aged Pilot – A Topic for Mature Pilots and the Instructors Who Teach Them
Aviation Facilities, Inc 4119 West Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton, CA 92833 More Info HERE.
22. FAASTeam Planning Meeting – Administered by the SAN Aviation Safety Counselors – Planning and Safety Mitigation Strategy Meeting
with Paul Kortopates – President of the San Diego ASC – FAASTeam Safety Seminar Planning meeting. Discussions of topics to be presented at future venues based on statistical data and safety trends. This meeting is open to interested airmen who support the Wings Program and FAASTeam efforts. This is an opportunity for individuals to check out the planning process. This is also a good place to learn the steps needed to apply as a FAASTeam Representative. – Lobby of the Administration Building under Casa Machado, 3750 John J. Montgomery Drive Administration Lobby – Downstairs, San Diego, CA 92123 7 p.m.
23. Maneuvering Flight – with Eric Waltzer – More than 25 percent of general aviation fatal accidents occur during the maneuvering phase of flight — turning, climbing, or descending close to the ground. During this seminar we will discuss how to prevent accidents caused by loss of control. Riverside Municipal Airport Terminal, 6951 Flight Rd, Riverside, CA 92504 Airport Terminal Lobby 7 p.m. More info: Eric @ (951) 780-5664
25. Formation Flying – Understanding the Challenge – Jeff Kertes CFI-AIM-ATP – Procedures and Techniques Revealed. Enjoy and learn from a master. Jeff is a member of the famous Condor Squadron. At Active Pilot, 7900 Balboa Blvd D6, Van Nuys, CA 91406 9 a.m.
26. Hangar Talk w/ Ron Berinstein cfii – Special topic Off-field Landings and Bglide vs. Min Power speed- at KWHP Airport Admin Bldg. 2nd Floor Vista Aviation, 10000 Airpark Way. Pacoima, CA 91331 10 a.m.
27. ADS-B and Nextgen – the history and the current state of the art – Van Nuys Flyaway, 7610 Woodley Ave., Van Nuys, CA 91406 second floor conference room – free parking in the spaces marked “30 minutes.” 7 p.m.
1. Plus One Flyers Club New Member Safety Briefing – Safety Procedures, Both Ground and Air – w/Shane Tepestra cfi – MYF – Terminal Operations Building 3750 John J. Montgomery Drive First Floor, East Entrance San Diego, CA 92123 More Info: A Robert Agresto 619 925-4100 9:30 a.m.
5. Advanced IFR procedures – with Mike Pattison – A review of advanced IFR procedures Including; Aircraft operations in Non-Radar and Radar environment TERPS criteria, compulsory reporting points, Non precision and precision IAPs, Visual, Contact approaches, Enroute GPS operations, National Airspace System and ATC services. KCCB Cable Airport Ground School room 1749 West 13th Street, Upland, CA 91786 More info: Mike @ (909) 292-7543
6. LA Area Airspace Hotspots & Dangerous Flight Routes w/ Ron Berinstein cfii – member Southern California Airspace Users Working Group – director SCAUWG.ORG website. Brackett Airport Administration Building 1615 McKinley Ave., La Verne, CA 91750 sponsored by BAA. 7 p.m.
6. Physiology of Aging for Pilots – How to Slow It Down and Fly Longer – Dr. Gregg Olsen will speak to us about the physiology of aging and how it affects us as pilots. Dr. Gregg Olsen, MD MSc at Solar Turbines, Kearny Mesa Facility, 4200 Ruffin Rd Titan Conference Room
San Diego, CA 92123 Call Paul Kortopates Phone: 619-560-8980 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, as there are some security rules in effect. 7 p.m.
11. SCAUWG meeting at Beach Cities Aviation, KHHR, 3732 W. 120th Street, Hawthorne. CA 90250 10 a.m. Teleconferencing available, see the SCAUWG.ORG home page for info.
11. IMC CLUB MEETING – Mastering the art of Instrument Navigation – discussion moderated by Eric Shalov – Beach Cities Aviation, 3732 W. 120th Street, Hawthorne. CA 90250 7 p.m.
12. Mastering the Art of Instrument Navigation – Organized “Hangar Flying” Focused On Building Proficiency In Instrument Flying -Terry Thompson EAA/IMC Prgm Coord, Paul Kortopates CFI/II & FAASTeam Rep, Serra Mesa/Kearny Mesa Public Library, 9005 Aero Dr, San Diego, CA 92123 6:30 p.m.
15. SoCal TRACON Wants to Talk to You – ATC / Pilot Outreach with Rob Reddeg from the SoCal Tracon, with Rob Reddeg. Brown Field Airport – 1409 Continental St, San Diego, CA 92154 10 a.m.
15. Plus One Flyers Club New Member Safety Briefing Safety Procedures, Both Ground and Air with Shane Terpstra CFIMYF – Terminal Operations Building 3750 John J. Montgomery Drive, First Floor, East Entrance, San Diego, CA 92123 9:30 a.m.
28-30. MCAS Miramar Air Show featuring the Blue Angeles – San Diego – Read More Here
13. Apple Valley Air Show & Car Display – Read Full Description Here
19-21 HUNTINGTON BEACH: Breitling Huntington Beach Air Show, This annual even has been creating a lot of excitement, and is getting larger and larger every year! – Read More Here
20. The Seven Deadly Sins of Aviation – A view of the most common things that get pilots into trouble. – Captains Gary Schank and Michael Jesch Sponsored by EAA Chapter 14, Brown Field Airport 1409 Continental St San Diego, CA 92154 10 a.m.
20. Dangerous Winds! w/ Ron Berinstein cfii – Apple Valley Airport – Sponsored by EAA Chapter 768 – 21600 Corwin Rd. Apple Valley Ca 92307 – airport admin building. 10 a.m.
22. ASI Investigates: Weather Accidents Speaker: AOPA ASI Presenter – Airtel Plaza Hotel, 7277 Valjean Avenue, Van Nuys, CA 91406 Some parking $8, street parking free. 7 p.m. Info: Robin @ 310 695 2175
23. ASI Investigates: Weather Accidents Speaker: AOPA ASI Presenter – Doubletree Hotel Ontario Airport 222 North Vineyard Avenue
Ontario, CA 91764 7 p.m. Info: Robin @ 310 695 2175
24. ASI Investigates: Weather Accidents Speaker: AOPA ASI Presenter – Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County 3131 Bristol Street, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 7 p.m. Info: Robin @ 310 695 2175
25. ASI Investigates: Weather Accidents Speaker: AOPA ASI Presenter – Doubletree by Hilton San Diego Hotel Circle 1515 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 7 p.m. Info: Robin @ 310 695 2175